Tuesday, 30 August 2011

10 things I learnt about being homeless

I am not the typical homeless person because I have some very caring friends and a good supportive mother who sees me through what I need. However, there are a few things I’ve come to realise about not having your own home:

    1. Your routine and comfort zones no longer exist, no matter how hard you try.
    2. You spend more than you would running a house.
    3. Mentally you are always aware of someone else around you in a very different way, not always in a good way.
    4. Your friends jump on board with you and keep you going, the most important way is emotionally.
    5. Suddenly mopping floors and cleaning baths become a dream.
    6. Dodging traffic wardens becomes a new hobby.
    7. En suite becomes a multi use room: shower, wash, wash up, change.
    8. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night {because its down the hall} becomes a mini trip…door key, light, loo roll.
    9. Everyone seems to need your address, only when you don’t have one to give they have that ‘look’ in their eye of pity.
    10. When you find you are the only one that has a car and pronounces your ‘h’s’ you get sideways glances and wish you could do the slang a bit better!

So, on the lighter side of homeless living it isn’t the end of the world. We have a room, clean beds and a safe building to stay in. Having so many restrictions is unnerving though but part of the course I guess. Now though, I don’t mind admitting that I’ve had enough of it all. I need my own bed, my morning routine, my unlimited internet access {instead of this £15 for 3gig business}. I want to get my sewing machine out and sew to my hearts content, I want to cuddle up with my son and read book after book. I want to cook a meal and make the table look fun and funky.

But I am here with faith, a lot of it. I know Heavenly Father has a plan and that He’s working on helping me through to the next stage of my life.

The hardest of all the challenges though is the wait. Just one phone call is all it takes before I can toddle off to get the keys off the new landlord.

But I shall be patient.

Very patient.

Because I’m learning all about it!

Random pics, just because I can Smile

DSCF1388

{Charley setting out his Hex Bugs and dinosaurs!}

DSCF1389

{The princess still has to do hair and face routines!}

DSCF1387

{Charley gets all domesticated and organised!}

debs

Post a Comment