Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Patience

How many times do you hear that word? How many times does that word apply to you?

I think it applies to almost everyone (at least who I know) but it definitely applies to me, and I reluctantly admit that! Through Sunday’s church meeting we talked about sacrifice, temperance and patience. By the time I got home I realised that the other events that occurred during the meetings that frustrated me was the perfect example of my lack of sacrifice, temperance and patience.

You see, I was released in my calling as Branch Activities Chairperson and was called as Relief Society Teacher. Again. Now back in the day I loved this calling, both times I was called. I loved that I got to know the sisters that little bit better, I got the perfect opportunity to learn more than I could teach and I loved that I was part of a pro-active Relief Society. I also loved that by working on a lesson I was able to get closer to my Heavenly Father and  understand Him so much more.

Then why does this calling now have me in tears?

In my mind I keep reflecting back to the times I’ve prayed to the Lord and asked him not to call me as a RS teacher! I talked to Him, explained why I didn’t want that calling and how I wondered if I would be able to serve better elsewhere.

You never, ever tell the Lord what to do! Winking smile

Though my prayers were respectful, I recognise where He needs me to do what HE needs me to do WHEN He needs me to do it.

End of story.

“We cannot see the future with precision, but we can know what the Lord intends and what it will take [for] each of us to qualify personally to participate.”

                           Henry B. Eyring, First Counsellor to The First Presidency

Then why does patience and temperance jump out at me like a stone hits the windscreen?

For the 7 months I have had the activities calling I have been challenged, and if the truth is knows I’ve probably challenged one or two along the way with my questions, details and whatever but it was the best calling I can ever imagine having. For me anyway. The church have cancelled out official church activity callings altogether so I know it’s nothing personal (though I wonder if I’ve challenged the Lord more than I realised too? ha-ha) This calling has helped me to come out of the shell I’d put myself into, it helped me to get to know my fellow church friends in ways I wouldn’t have otherwise. I learnt simpler lessons too, like how muddled my leadership skills are and how I am passionate about what I believe in. I have also re-learnt to do all that was required of me through the Lord before going off on a tangent. Yep, I am prone to those! Winking smile

It’s sad to see it go, but activities are not the end, it’s just time for a new way of doing them.

Patience. Every blessing I have, every prayer I say and every bit of council I receive has that word in it. If I randomly opened my scriptures I would land on that word, if I looked up a talk it would somehow have that word in it. At one point I heard it so much I wondered what I need to be patient with when all I was trying to do was achieve something that relied on people.  Other times it got oh-so-personal so much so I had to take heed to it more than I wanted!

Oh patience. You are a thorn. My nemesis.

The other side to patience is when we see how things unfold. Just one little choice or decision can change the final outcome. Patience should be a blessing but the natural man in us all (ok, me!) gets caught up in here-and-now and hangs on lifes instant results.

While this new calling is not sitting very well with me, I have happily accepted it and will do everything within my capacity to serve the Lord the absolute best way I know how.

Because I love Him and I trust Him.

So with that knowledge I decided to back myself up with scriptures:

  • Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him, Ps. 37:7–8
  • He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding, Prov. 14:29
  • In your patience possess ye your souls, Luke 21:19
  • We have hope through patience and comfort of the scriptures, Rom. 15:4
  • Be followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises, Heb. 6:12–15
  • Let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, James 1:2–4
  • Ye have heard of the patience of Job, James 5:11
  • They did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord, Mosiah 24:15
  • Thou didst bear all these things with patience because the Lord was with thee, Alma 38:4–5
  • Continue in patience until ye are perfected, D&C 67:13

As the world says ‘get over it’, but to me this is a very important part of who my life so I shall now go and ‘get over it’!!! Winking smile

Patience. What is it to you? How do you make sense with patience?

Debs

Post a Comment