Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Donations/Sponsorship & Charity

After doing the majority of refunds on Saturday I was getting confused why the total amount wasn’t going down. It wasn’t till I checked my email that I found that the donations/sponsorship money was being returned back to me! The over all decision was that I was being urged to keep hold of the money and use it to donate to any charity I chose. I was very touched and very humbled.

DSCF0941

18 lovely people left messages of support and apologies for the breakdown of this event. Previously it was friends that called to ask what happened but soon I didn’t want to get into it, the attitude was not productive.

My Facebook friends are the ones that reminded me that all is not lost and there is still something I can do, just without the drama and abuse from Daisy’s mum. So I’m going to spend a few days thinking out what the next move can be and who the money’s shall be going to.

Thank you so, so much for your generosity, I underestimated the readership here, my friends and business contacts support!

From here on I will not be making reference to Daisy but only to the cause in  hand. When the donations are ready to be transferred I shall then show a copy of the monies in and donated, just to keep things above board.

I know, whatever the final amount is will be gratefully received by whoever receives it.

I am still doing fundraising and planning a couple of local events for another cause, The Colour Wheel Appeal, if you haven’t heard of it, please take a minute to check out their blog, it isn’t up to date yet but that’s my fault, I haven’t had much time since my business took off quite suddenly! Winking smile However, Stella {the lady who is running this appeal} and I are meeting up later next week to go through the final drafts of the information she want’s loaded up.

I am also involved with other charity work that doesn’t require me to blog about on here or speak about it on Facebook, Twitter or even in regular conversations. Sometimes, the good we can do should happen in private, sometimes it needs to be a public affair.

So, when I was asked on Twitter why I bothered trying to help {Daisy} I got thinking:

Why do I want to do charity work?

  • Charity is the pure love of Christ and I know how I feel about Him.
  • 1 Corinthians 13:13 -And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Mormon teaches us that “charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever.” 10 The pure love of Christ. Let’s look at that. What does this phrase mean? We find part of the answer in Joshua: “Take diligent heed … to love the Lord your God … and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul. 11 Charity is our love for the Lord, shown through our acts of service, patience, compassion, and understanding for one another. – taken from October General Conference, 2003 - Choosing Charity: That Good Part - BONNIE D. PARKIN
  • When I am able to serve others, I feel like my purpose is being met. I am teaching my children that helping others is, and should be, an integral part of life. I believe that helping others strengthens us, helps us realise our challenges could be worse and educates us in things we wouldn’t otherwise understand.

I am far from perfect, obviously, but I am a good person, I have a good heart and I have good intentions. I won’t get into slanging matches and I wont allow myself to be drawn into one. If I face a difficult situation I will pick my words carefully and do my best to remain somewhat honest and factual {to my own conscience and understanding}. So much destruction and contention is already in the world around us, so many people judge others whilst really they are the ones that often are lacking in the area’s they judge others in. It’s a shame it’s like that, but it has been going on since the start of time.

My choice is to lessen my own attitudes in that way as much as I can.

“…Execute true judgment and show mercy and compassion every man to his brother, And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.”

Zechariah 7:9-10

Nothing of what I choose to do is for financial gain or personal reward, I simply do it because I understand what the Lord wants of me. I do it because I care. I understand that I have a place in society and the community and it is my responsibility to do something. I do it because I have met some lovely people who have benefited from me, people who inspire me, teach me, make me laugh, make me cry and generally show me they are brave, loving, humble and grateful people. Some of those people have since moved on from this life and I have memories that have touched my heart. Some people are merrily on their way and I know that even with them I have probably gained more than they did. I love to see the smiles on faces when someone knows I want to be there, I want to do something for them and I want to allow them to feel that someone cares enough for a stranger, just to help.

No amount of money could compare with how I feel when I am in service of any kind. No amount of praise would compare to the feeling I have when I am serving. And no-one could ever make me feel the way the Lord does when I know I am making Him happy.

If putting the Lord first in my life segregates me, then I stand segregated. Happily.

Deb

Post a Comment