I know, I know it's a bit of a show stopper when we think of all the stuff we want/need to do...but trust me, if you break it down it's not nearly so painful...so here's how to get started.
1. Decide on ONE room at a time. If that one room is still overwhelming, decide on ONE area.
2. Go in when you are not feeling emotionally charged. With a decided choice to be ruthless and realistic we're more likely to achieve the desired result.
3. Arm up with a bin liner, marked boxes for recycle, donate, bin and keep.
4. Set a rule: If it's not been used for 3 months, get rid of it.
5. Deal with rubbish, recycling and donated items that same day, don't leave them laying around to be picked at and rehomed in YOUR home!
6. Go back to the stuff you kept and invest in appropriate storage to avoid them being lost in the midst again, keeping them accessible assures them being used.
7. When you feel a little overwhelmed, take a break. Don't go out or go to another part of the house if you can help it, this averts our focus, but grab a drink and sit outside the door for 5 minutes then go back and start again.
8. Remember, Rome was not built in a day and that's a good thing, because now it's a beautiful city! ;)
9. Keep the end result image in your head, you WILL get there.
10. Play some good music while you are doing it, singing along passes time that much easier and quicker.
If you can add to this list please feel free....if not, feel free to print it off, get motivated and let me know how you got on!
Now I’m off to declutter my kitchen. Again.