Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Time

For those of you who are Lds you will know those commercials they do that remind us that time is more important than anything else when it comes to our kids. When I got up this morning, the first thing I heard when I put on the byu.tv (the ritual I have each morning whilst we are getting ready) was the commercial where the little girl repeatedly asked her daddy to read her a story. Each time he put her off for one reason or another. Eventually, late into the night she goes to her dads bedside and asked him yet again for a story, his drowsy words were to ask her mommy. Cutely, she walked round the bed, tapped her mommy and said ‘mommy, can daddy read me a story?’





 

I laugh each time I see that but it irks me too. I was often caught saying the same thing to the kids, I’m busy or later. What hit me though was hearing the kids talking, Charley wanted something and Kirsten asked him to ask me, to which his reply was ‘mom will say later’

I was arm deep in washing (yet again the darn thing broke down but thanks to Ian it is now fixed but wow the mount was turning into Everest!) and drying but his natural acceptance of me being busy seemed all too much at that moment.

I remembered, that washing will be there when the kids are in bed. It will be there when they are in school tomorrow. I only have ONE Wednesday 22nd September 2010 so why the heck am I not with my kids?

The rest of the evening was made up of reading about Harry and the Bucket full of Dinosaurs, tickling fights on the floor and word games. Kirsten joined in with us and we had the best giggle time ever. The dog jumped over us in a hyper, we totally forgot the bedtime deadline and crashed flat out on the floor after a good session of just messing around.

Another story in bed, family prayer and a little more banter, I kissed goodnight the happiest little boy ever. A chat and giggle on Kirsten’s bed, requests for days outs and friends invites all discussed and confirmed and that saw another child happy to go to bed.

I sat at my dining table just to take a moment. I felt so calm, peaceful, happy and content than I have for a while. Thanks to my kids.

Don’t put time on hold, you will never get it back and you are losing so many memories that will never be rewritten.

Debs

Post a Comment