Thursday, 23 September 2010

School & Gratitude

Charley:

This week Charley started a new school. With having rather drastic winters here and having no car for a long time I realised that the local attachment school held more appeal than I realised. So I checked it out, both my neighbours send their kids there and they gave great reviews. We looked around, asked questions and Charley was sold. Bigger school, lots of after school activities, bigger classes and more advanced work than he was doing.

Monday we spent most the day getting the sweaters, PE kit, book bags and all that stuff ready. We labelled, washed, ironed and set out the weeks requirements. Charley loved doing this and is definitely showing signs of preferring to be organised and up to date with things. We made cupcakes, lollipops and bread, packaged some up and gave them to friends in his old school, including teachers. We collected his new glasses, picked up his shoes from Clarks and chose the winter coat he will need shortly, just a shame we had to order one in for his size.

Tuesday was the first day. On the way back from dropping Kirsten off at school I asked if he was nervous, ‘nope’ he said and went back to playing on his DS. He forgot to say goodbye! I stood by the door waiting for him to turn around. He didn’t! That’s ok, some boys were already surrounding him and he was smiling happily. That’s all I needed to see.

Being 6 is agreeing with him, his confidence is growing, his willingness to explore the world around him is immense. I am so happy with his all round abilities to live and enjoy life.

Kirsten:

A bit of a tricky start but the word used when asked how her day was was an emphatic A.W.E.S.O.M.E! I had to double take, get her to repeat and marvel at her obvious enthusiasm. She had homework and was eager to get home and do it. I know, give it time and it’ll wear off, but the ‘here and now’ is what matters most.

This morning she asked if I minded if she switch a couple of subjects she didn’t feel were right for her. We talked about it, she listened and gave me all the reasons that I felt were honest and real for her and ok’d her choices. She got out the car, kissed me and said ‘isn’t life good, mom?’

Driving home I prayed to my Heavenly Father with the most heartfelt thanks I could muster, I truly am feeling the blessings of my last two children at home and seeing them for who they are and enjoying their walk in life. When they are at school, I do my fairy chores, go for a walk with the dog, sometimes go for a swim and plan out each meal that I know my kids will love. Next week I shall be working on my book again. The site stuff will still be in the hands of my peers but for now I am just focussing on one thing at a time. When I leave to fetch the kids from school, it is their time. If they want to go to the park after school (cos Kirsten and I love to have a go on the swings and race to see who can go highest!) then we go. If they wanna walk round Monmouth High Street, then we go. If they wanna go home, we go. But all in all, its about the three of us right now.

God knew what he was doing when he allowed me to be a mom. I also think that as hard as single parenting is at times, I have it so much better because I don’t have interference to the parenting and educating of them. I don’t stop the kids having contact with their dads, and I don’t discourage it, but while nothing is happening I am even more thankful that I get them all to myself.

Something Kirsten was given by her YW leader:

Supposing today were your last day on earth,

The last mile of the journey you’ve trod,

After all of your struggles, how much are you worth,

How much can you take home to God?

Don’t count as possessions your silver and gold,

Tomorrow you leave these behind

And all that is yours to have and to hold

Is the service you’ve given to mankind.

For all the things that life brings, good and bad, ups and downs, busy and calm, right now, this very part of time, what makes me the happiest is just being with my kids, that is where my greatest work will be done.

Debs

Post a Comment